It’s a lovely mango and rice pudding infused with the richness of nuts and candied fruits.
An apt summer dessert.
The recipe (Serves 4) –
2 medium sized mangoes
2 cups full fat milk
1.5 tbsp rice
1/2 tsp ghee
1/4 cup sugar
20 unsalted pistachios
12 candied cranberries
1. Soak almonds overnight. Peel and dice them into 4 pieces each.
2. Blend the pistachios into coarsely grounded powder form.
3. Slice the candied cranberries into 4 pieces each. Keep 1/4 of them aside for parnishing.
4. Wash and soak the rice for 20-30 minutes. Drain and keep aside.
5. Boil the milk. Add rice and ghee. Mix well. Simmer on medium heat for half an hour. Keep on mixing at intervals.
6. Add sugar. Mix well. Simmer for further 10 minutes. Put off the gas burner.
7. Add almonds and candied cranberries. Mix well. Leave the milk mixture to cool for 30 minutes.
8. Peel and deseed mangoes. Purée them in a blender.
9. Once the milk mixture has cooled, add the mango purée. Mix thoroughly.
10. Pour the Aam Ki Kheer into 4 bowls, in equal quantity.
11. Garnish them with candied cranberries and powdered pistachios.
12. Cover the bowls and refrigerate them for 4-6 hours.
13. Once the Kheer has chilled and thickened a bit, take out from the refrigerator and serve.
Note: As the mango purée has not actually been cooked here, try to consume the Kheer within 1 day.